11/11/12

Monday Morning Offering - 215



Image: George Mendoza

Ah, November, Lord…

The gateway, in these parts, to shorter days and colder nights, to “the holidays” and all that they entail, to the year’s end and all the wonder and the worry, the mystery of what a new year might leave upon the doorstep…

Not my favorite time of year, Lord, this season of fading, falling leaves and bare branches scratching against gray skies…

And, well… you know how I feel about the snow!

But in all things living comes this dying, Lord, this inevitable annual ending, sapping the strength of all that was bright and beautiful, warm and wonderful… 

After the harvest there comes this time for raking, burning, plowing under, waiting for the winter… then waiting through winter…  and waiting for the waiting to end…

I don’t like the end of things, Lord: the dying, the loss, the giving up and the letting go…

My soul mourns the loss of summer’s warmth and grieves over autumn’s beauty passed away…

I shiver against the chill November brings... And December’s promise of colder days tempts me to doubt the spring…

Ah, November, Lord… 

What other month might better bear our prayers offered up for all souls gone before us: precious leaves fallen from our family trees… 

All those holy souls: lost and found and claimed by you, harvested for life that has no end… 

November, Lord: the month to pause and face the loss of what we prayed would never end but did…

November: the month to stop and take account of how all dying’s part of living; that after death there comes a life that has no end, a time when we will know your reign of peace and know again the love of those who’ve gone before us…

November, the month of souls whose loss has touched my heart in ways I cannot bring to speech but bring to prayer for you to touch with healing, with the grace of hope that sees beyond the summer’s end, beyond the fall and winter’s wait for springtime and the life you promise without end…

I offer you the souls, the lives, the love, the memories of those who’ve gone before me, Lord and in the quiet of my prayer now I lift  them up by name…


I lift them up to you in prayer, Lord: welcome them in mercy to the place you have prepared for them since before all time began…

In your eyes, Lord, for your faithful, life does not end but rather changes: when the body of our earthly dwelling lies in death we gain an everlasting dwelling place in heaven…

Hold in your arms, Lord, those for whom I pray and shape my life according to your word that one day I may be with you and them when your mercy gathers us together, again, in the joy of your kingdom…

Such is my prayer this November morning, Lord, this day and through this month: hear my prayer and in your kindness,  answer me…

Amen.

(For an archive of previous Monday Morning Offerings,
check here or click on the coffee cup at the top of the sidebar...)


election


   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!