11/22/12

Praying 10 minutes today: FRIDAY 11/123


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
   and give me a new and steadfast spirit... 
- Psalm51







(Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture verse above...)


Some things need changing in my life, Lord,
    and I wish these changes would happen over night
but change comes slowly,
    perhaps because I'm so slow to change...

I offer you my need to change, Lord:
    my need to be changed, my need to be open
       to the changes you want to make in me
          and how I live...

I offer you my need to be fine-tuned, Lord,
    lest the strings of my life sound flat

       (or even worse - sharp)
    in the hearts and ears of those who hear me... 

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
   and give me a new and steadfast spirit... 

I offer you my need to be changed
    from the inside out, Lord,
       from the core of who I am:

my need for my heart to be adjusted
    to loving and being loved;
for my mind to be synced
    with your word and your wisdom...

I offer you my need to be stretched, Lord:
    to be the person you call me to be
and to be satisfied with nothing less
    than becoming the person you made me to be...

So many things in my life need changing, Lord:

   I pray you'll heal and mend 
      whatever’s torn, wounded and broken...

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
   and give me a new and steadfast spirit... 

Open my eyes, Lord,
    to see your hands at work in my life
       helping me to change, every day...

Open my ears to hear your voice guiding me
    through the changes I need to make...

Open my mouth, Lord, to pray, 

   to ask for your help
      with the changes I most need to make...
 

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
   and give me a new and steadfast spirit... 

Open my arms and hands
    to work for the changes that will lift others up…

Open my heart, Lord, to your Spirit 

   shaping, shifting, changing me from within...

Open my life, Lord,
    and bring to harvest all you've planted
       and everything you nurture within me...
 

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
   and give me a new and steadfast spirit... 

Change me, Lord:
empty and humble my heart
for the sake of all whose paths cross mine:
      help me readily and generously serve those in need,
      help me encourage and cheer those who are down,
      help me console and comfort those who grieve,
      help me stand with those who are alone,
      and help me rejoice with those whose hearts are glad,

         even when my own heart is heavy with burdens...

In the quiet of my prayer, Lord, 

   help me see the changes I most need to make...

Help me know and accept the changes 
   your Spirit is working within my mind and heart...

Show me the things I can change
   and give me the grace and courage to work on them...

Show me the things I can't change on my own
   and in your grace, shape and mold me
      according to your will and word...

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
   and give me a new and steadfast spirit...     

 
To ponder and pray over...
What patterns and habits need to be changed in my life?
What changes do I find most difficult to make?
What changes might the Lord want to make in my life?
Will I invite the Lord in to change me according to his design?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?

(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!