12/11/12

Praying 10 minutes today: WEDNESDAY 12/12


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   

Prepare ye the way of the Lord!

 - Isaiah 40






 (Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture verse above...)

Prepare a way for you, Lord?
I've got lots of work to do!

Help me prepare a way for you into my home, Lord:
   help me find a place, a room, a corner, a chair
      where you and I can meet each day to pray.
Perhaps I'll but a candle there, with a bible;
   maybe a statue or a picture; a rosary or a prayer card:
      something to mark the spot as the place I keep
      to go each day to sit and rest, to take a deep breath,
      to remember your presence and open my heart in prayer...

Help me prepare a way for you on my calendar,
   an "appointment" each day,
      even just 10 minutes, for you and me to get together
         to talk about the day, it's ups and downs,
            and get to know each other just a little better than yesterday.
I make time, all the time, Lord,
   for so many things and for so many people.
How is it that I have time, that I make time, for many foolish things;
   that I have time to waste; that I have time for everyone - but you -
      even when I trust and know that you always have time for me...

Help me prepare a way for you to enter my thoughts, Lord.
When I'm trying to figure things out, nudge me
   to ask for your guidance and counsel, your Spirit and your wisdom.
When I'm making decisions and choices, 
   help me make a place for you and your word and your truth 
      to color and shape the direction I take...

Help me prepare a way for you, Lord,
   in my family and among my friends, at work and at school,
      in my parish and in my neighborhood. 
Help me prepare a way for you to come into the hearts
   of those around me who are alone. 
Give me freedom to share my faith with others
   in ways that welcome and invite, that comfort and challenge.
Give me courage to speak the truth your word has taught me,
   remembering that you, not I, are the judge of others' hearts.
Give me strength to open doors where you might enter through my life
       the hearts of those whose paths cross mine each day...

Help me prepare a way for you, Lord,
   in the crazy rush of Christmas all around me.
Help me remember it's your birthday
   and that you should get some presents - from me.
Help me remember the poverty of your nativity:
   make your way into my wallet and spend generously
      on those whose needs are so much greater than my own.
Help me remember that of all the gifts I might receive,
  none is greater than the love you have for me...

Help me prepare a way for you to enter my life decisively, Lord.
Help me prepare a way for you to take me as your own,
   for you to summon out what I shall be: what you call me to be.
Help me prepare a way for you to take possession of my desires,
   to fill me with the all the gifts that bring me the greatest peace
      and satisfy my longing for the deepest joy...

In the quiet of my prayer, Lord,
   help me clear the path you walk into my life, into my soul.
Help me want to clear that path.
Help me want to want to clear that path lest there be anything,
   lest there be anyone to keep me from your advent,
      from your coming to my heart in mercy and in peace...

In the stillness of my prayer, Lord,
   help me see you as you make your way towards me
and show me that no matter the roadblocks I put up,
   you'll find a way to come, to enter 
      and to fill me with your presence...

Help me prepare a way for you, Lord,
   as you prepare my heart for all the ways you come to me...


To ponder and pray over...
Have I prepared a way for the Lord to come into my heart?
Have a prepared a place within my home 
   where I might meet the Lord in prayer?
Have I prepared a way for the Lord come and dwell within me?
What roadblocks have I put up 
   on the Lord's way into my life, into my heart?
How do I need to clear the path where the Lord comes to meet me?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?

(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)

Prepare Ye (The Way Of The Lord) by Original Broadway Cast on Grooveshark

Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.
 
   
    
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!