7/31/15

Pause for Prayer: 8/1/15



The first day of August - already?  

Too soon!

Summertime's slipping away 
   and August's debut 
      rudely intrudes on a season 
         I love so much...

Still, this is the day the Lord has made:
   August 1, 2015...

And this day's unique 
   in the whole of my life,
   in the lives of my friends,
   in humankind's history
   and, indeed, unique 
      in the mind of God...

This day has never dawned before
   - and it will never come again:
August 1, 2015
   a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

What would you have me make of this day, Lord?
What would you have me do - or not do?
What would you have me embrace - or set free? 
Where would you have me go - or not go?
How would you have me spend this day,
   August 1, 2015?

How might I make this a better day
   for all the people whose paths cross mine?
How might I mend in the day at hand
   the mistakes I made just a day ago?
What might I do today, Lord,
   to prepare for a peaceful tomorrow?

And, Lord -
   what will you do in my life, today: 
      August 1, 2015?

Open me up to all the ways  
   your Spirit will move within me this day:
      in my mind, in my conscience, 
      in my heart, in my soul,
      and in all of my words and my deeds.
Open me, Lord, to all the ways
   you'll move in my life today...

This is the day you've made, O Lord,
   August 1, 2015:
      help me rejoice and be glad in this day,
      help me spend this day in your peace
      - and come to its end in your grace...

Amen.





 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!